Mindfulness is paying attention, on purpose, with open curiosity, to the unfolding of the present moment. When we practice observing ourselves (the pleasant & the unpleasant), moment to moment, we soften our habitual reactivity & develop the ability to respond to any situation with more clarity & freedom of choice.
Learn to relax.
Relaxation is the skill of integrating & harmonizing body, mind, & heart to facilitate the “Relaxation Response” (Rest-Digest-and-Repair), which is the opposite of our usual mode, the “Stress Response” (Fight-Flight-or-Freeze). When your body & heart-mind are relaxed, there is space for natural flow & healing.
Practicing mindfulness & relaxation can help you:
- Harmonize your heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, nervous system, & digestion
- Regulate inflammation & immune response
- Navigate illness, chronic pain, PTSD, anxiety, depression, & stress
- Suppress your genetic predisposition to illness & disease (epigenetics)
- Slow the breakdown of telomeres (which protect your chromosomes) to slow aging
- Increase neuroplasticity, creating new brain connections & improved cognitive function
- Build skillful stress navigation, inner awareness, & resilience
- Increase your capacity for joy & well-being